Monday 5 June 2017

Southsea Villa - A newly-acquired C. E. Turnbull dolls’ house from the turn of the last century.


No sooner had I bought my lovely Triang DH/C, when the opportunity arose to buy a further two fabulous houses. Well what could I do?

So here is the first of the two that I collected on Saturday:


It's a C.E. Turnbull house and it's a whopper; standing four feet (1.2 m) high and three feet (0.9 m) wide. I did warn my husband that it was large but he was still shocked when he walked into the kitchen and saw it skimming the beams!

It isn't in great shape, having spent the latter part of its life in a school; it has been overpainted, has no glazing and the two downstairs windows would have had bays. On the positive side, however, it does still have many of its original features.

The previous owner, who is a collector, tells me that it dates to circa 1900.


The base is 16 12" (41 cm) deep and the body of the house itself is 11" (28 cm) deep.


The front opens in two parts, with one side having a hinged section.

It has six rooms plus a hallway and two landings - all to decorate and furnish...what bliss! [What expense!!]


The previous owner said it had spent the latter part of its life in a costal school and I'm guessing from the name above the front door - 'Southsea Villa' - that was in Southsea which is near Portsmouth, on the south coast of England.

I think this front door will look magnificent when it's restored.


The previous owner had made a start at removing the paint, which apparently comes off quite easily with acetone, to reveal the original brick and stone papers underneath; brick at first- and second-floor levels and stone at ground-floor level.


Inside, I am thrilled that the original doors with mouldings and the original stairs with banisters are still present. What careful children they must have been in Southsea school!


Amazingly, both original chimneys are present too, though the red pots are obviously modern additions and will have to go.


The over-painted back shows the simple wooden construction.


And the base is plain with no maker's marks - I just like to record these things for posterity!

I'm VERY excited about this project. I will need to learn all about this type of house and how to restore it, as well as the way it should be decorated and how it should be furnished, but I can't wait to get started!

Still one more house to go - details to follow soon!

Until next time,
Zoe

2 comments:

  1. Well! I'd have happily moved my classroom furniture around to make room for this beauty! When i was very small all the younger classes had a beautiful dolls' house in my primary school and it was a joy to both boys and girls. By the time I became a teacher, they had been reduced to those 'no externl walls' Galt toys type - not a bit the same.

    I'm so glad you bought this. It is now in safe hands and, already beautiful, will soon be able to live up to its potential splendour again. I always worry about using acetone incase it takes oout the original colour as well as the paint over it, so am thrilled to hear that this has worked on Southsea Villa.

    On a more selfish note, I have shown this to my d/h as evidence that other men have to live with a growing quantity of dolls' house real eastate and survive it!

    Can't wait to see the next house and to know how each responds to the Zoe treatment.
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't ever remember seeing a dolls' house at school, though I remember a Wendy house in my reception class (or first year infants as it was then).

    I did wonder about the acetone but it seems to have worked ok but I'll bear in mind what you say when I get started myself. I got my nail-varnish remover out last night and had a little rub - NOTHING - and then I read the bottle 'Acetone-free Nail Varnish Remover' - phew! I though I was going mad[der]...

    ReplyDelete