Wednesday 14 June 2017

Hooray for a Hat!

This week, Grecondale's flourishing population was further increased by the arrival of this mixed trio, which came as a little job lot:

 

Despite the Granny being in the best condition, it was actually the two ladies on the the left who interested me most.

   

This very eccentric-looking lady was wearing a hat that was clearly never intended for her head! 

I was hoping it wouldn't be too well-glued to her hair but no, someone had made a very thorough job of sticking it on and she will definitely need a visit to Curl Up and Dye hair salon to sort her out.

She also needs a bit of attention around the knee area as she's looking very 'Nora Batty' at the moment.

   

But hoorah! This poor gluey headed bald man has been hanging around waiting for me to make him a hat for many months now and now he has one!

He doesn't even have to suffer the ignominy of wearing whatever effort I would have produced with my limited sewing skills, and this one is navy blue; toning nicely with his lighter blue overcoat.


And then we come to this Trendy Wendy.  Despite her scruffy legs and general grubbiness, I love her for her fabulous outfit.

A bit like the sassy teenager from a few weeks ago, this young lady has a bit of a 1960s mod look about her (though maybe from a couple of years earlier), with that fabulous peaked bubble hat, monochrome scarf and short A-line coat.


I doubt she will ever forgive me for this photo, but I wanted to show that her coat is actually lined, however, beneath it, and most unusually for a Grecon, she is as naked as the day she was sewn!

Given the grubby condition of her, I like to think she's been the most handled and therefore probably the most loved of these the three ladies. So loved that her long, skinny legs need major surgery and her hands are almost bare wire!


And finally, here is Granny. Her dress is a lovely soft silk and she's in good, clean condition. Unloved? I hope not, but just in case, I will have make sure her future is bright - maybe a loving Grecon Grandpa and a large extended family.

All three of the new arrivals have tiny feet and have the 'GRECON MADE IN ENGLAND' label sewn to the back of their outfits.  


Looking closely at their mouths, I think it's possible that all three of them started life with just a dot of a mouth and were later given a purplish red smile.

Maybe they were drawn discontented but had such a great life with their 'Human Bean' that they demanded smiles - I'd like to think so!

Until next time,
Zoe

10 comments:

  1. How lovely that your gluey baldy man has a hat, he does look happy now. The lady did not suit that style or colour of hat at all. As for Trendy Wendy her costume is adorable knickers or no knickers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I never imagined I would find a real Grecon hat for my gluey baldy man so this was an exciting find and a great excuse to acquire these three little characters.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous Grecons Zoe, and I love the way you write about them :-) Amazing that Trendy Wendy has a lined coat and then not even the skimpiest of drawers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Edel! The only other knickerless Grecon I have is Rabbie, but that's only to be expected from a bekilted Scotsman, whereas the same can't be said about Trendy Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All three are lovely ladies. There seems to be one from three succeeding generations. Are thy related?! The Grandma is the smiliest Grecon Gran I've ever seen. What a smile1 She reminds me of my own human bean Granny Beartice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I think you must be right, Jenni - yes, it is surely a granny with her daughter and granddaughter!

    All my Grecons Grans have only a dot for a mouth so this is definitely the smiliest one I've seen as well and now I know her name! (Was it Granny Beartice or Granny Beatrice? Just so I know I've got it right!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! Fumbling MS fingers - I hit the 'e' and 'r' keys at the same time. Granny Beatrice. She was actually Maud Beatrice but we didn't find out until she died and Dad inherited her birth and marriage certificates. Clearly she didn't see herelf as a Maud - and I can't say I blame her!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Jenni, Beatrice it is then!

      Delete
  6. Yes - I'm sure those smiles were added by their little owners. I recently got some Grecons who had the "smile" and scraping with a sharp scalpel revealed the original tiny dot for mouths. On the other hand I think that some of the later tinies had them and my late 1940's Grecons have smiles - the Chef and Dick Barton are two that I know re smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it does seem to have been just the adult females who weren’t allowed to smile. 🙂

    ReplyDelete