Monday 12 June 2017

New Furniture!

I've taken delivery of two exciting pieces of dolls' house furniture in the last couple of weeks. Here is the first:


It's a sideboard from the Chippendale Dining-Room Suite which was part of the 'Triang Period Doll Furniture' range.

It was made by Elgin of Enfield for Triang and sold by them from 1921 to 1922. Because it was made for Triang to retail under its own brand, it doesn't bear the Elgin mark.

It's in great condition and I find it quite remarkable that the brass rail is still present and undamaged after 95 years!  I've never come across one for sale before so I was thrilled to get this one.

The second exciting piece only arrived today:


It's a Tudor cradle made by Elgin of Enfield and sold under the Elgin Label. Elgin produced furniture between approximately 1919 and 1925/26.  

The only other Elgin cradle that I've seen is on the CD accompanying Marion Osborne's 'The Book of Tri-Ang Furniture' [from which I obtained all of my information for this post] and again, I'm thrilled to have it.


The example on Marion's CD doesn't have this family crest on the foot-board so it may well be an addition but I think it's a lovely touch.

It appears to be hand-drawn onto a piece of paper that has been pasted to the wood.


Because this piece was sold under the Elgin label, it has the Elgin mark on the base.

So there they are - my two new treasures. The sideboard has gone into Agar Hall - it being the poshest residence in Grecondale. The cradle has yet to be placed because, of course, a cradle needs a baby and decisions about who the stork will deliver that to can't be rushed! 

Until next time,
Zoe


No comments:

Post a Comment