Wednesday 10 March 2021

Tiny Treen

This is a short post about an amazing piece of treen that I just bought to grace a shelf in the schoolroom in one of my dolls' houses.


This tiny cylindrical box is only 1.7 cm tall, with a diameter of 1.8 cm (or 5/8" tall with a diameter of 11/16").


But it's not just one box, it opens up and nestling inside is another, even smaller box!


And in fact, it's a set of six nestling boxes with the smallest being smaller than a grain of rice!



Each of the tiny lids is colourfully painted with concentric circles.

I bought the little box from eBay and, though I knew it was tiny, I really didn't appreciated just how tiny it was until it arrived. 

I love it and I also love the fact that it is now now sitting on a shelf just waiting to surprise and delight the next person to look inside it, just as it did me!

Until next time,
Zoe

[A Little Bit About Treen: Also referred to as 'treenware', treen literally means "made of a tree" and is referred to as 'woodenware' in the US. Treen items are usually small (i.e. the term doesn't generally include pieces of wooden furniture), made from one piece of wood and handmade, though some would have been carved/turned using a foot-pedal lathe. Close-grained native hardwoods such as box, beech and sycamore were particularly favoured to make treen pieces and the wonderful rich patina you see on the items is a result of the fine grain of the wood and its age - treen was apparently made between medieval times and the late 19th century.]

1 comment:

  1. This is really delightful! I wonder how old it is?

    ReplyDelete