Monday 29 May 2017

Bank Holiday Blues

It's a dreary, wet Bank Holiday Monday here in Yorkshire and I have taken some photos of my Handicrafts 325 house to cheer myself up!

Because this house isn't inhabited by Grecons I don't photograph it much as the others and I tend to forget what's in it. So it's always a nice surprise when I pay it a visit!

  

This is the drawing room, which is upstairs. The wallpaper is by Handicrafts and is original  to the house. The furniture in this house is a real hotchpotch of old and new.


The modern, plaster fireplace was hand-painted by Victoria Fasken. The brass companion set, coal scuttle and the mirror are inexpensive modern miniatures. The grandfather clock is Westfaker (fake Westacre - though I bought it rather than made it myself!)


The china cabinet is probably German and is filled with, mainly, cheap modern miniatures. I have two of these rugs - one was stitched by my mum (after I abandoned my own efforts about 25 stitches into the kit!) and I bought the other on eBay - I think this is the one my mum made.

The large jug on top of the china cabinet is marked "Hagley Worcester" on the base and is a favourite of mine - the matching vase is in the dinging room.  I get my Toby jugs mixed up and never know which are old and which are new but I think this one might be by Kays.


It took me a long time to find furniture and accessories which went the very busy Handicrafts paper. Eventually I realised that dark furniture went best with it and the furnishings developed a green and back theme with a bit of pink thrown in.

The fern in is by Jan Southern, The Flower Lady and I think the oil lamp is modern Swarovski crystal. The light fitting was made by my friend, Valerie and is one of my favourites.


This is a close-up of the picture on the back wall. My records tell me that I bought it for 75p on eBay - the postage must have doubled the price!  I don't suppose it has much age but I like the scene and thought the black frame would look good against the busy wallpaper.


I think the green Korbi/Schreiter pressed-card chairs complement the room really well and I was chuffed to bits to find them.

The dark wood court cupboard is, of course, Barton Tudor and the green and gold dinner gong is BCM.

The plate is a cheap Limoges one that I found in a charity shop and there is a solid silver salt spoon on top of the cupboard that I found in a junk shop - I have been meaning to hang it on the wall for years!


The other upstairs room is a bedroom.  The wallpaper is Handicrafts and is original but, unlike in the other rooms where the papers are clean and bright, this one is really quite sooty - maybe the house was lit up by a candle in this room at some point!

This light fitting was made by my friend Valerie too.


I put this vintage bed in here because it was appropriately made from Handidcrafts furniture plans.

The large picture and the little silhouette were charity shop finds, as were the crochet doilies which I've used as bedding.  The little dolls' house is a cheap modern ring box made from grass or bamboo.

The doll in pink might be a Hertwig (I am no expert on dolls!) and the sitting girl is probably German too but possibly a bit more modern (again, I'm guessing!) She's missing the bow which would go through the hole in her head.

I have a couple of these hand-stitched rugs, all bought on second-hand on eBay and with the same pattern.


A sweet little pipe-cleaner cat is playing with the children.


The drawers or wash stand are German.  There are two delicate milk-glass items on it, a little brass candle-holder and a modern brass clock.  The little wooden doll in the box is a modern miniature by Dave Pennant who makes gorgeous little jointed wooden dolls in clothing made from antique fabrics. I think the rocking horse is modern.


I think the vintage fretwork screen is from Handicrafts furniture plans. The cast metal fireplace is by Taylor and Barrett.

The pot cupboard with a real marble top is German. The picture is a vintage cigarette silk in a modern frame and the glass flowers are modern - I found them and the little plaster mouse in a charity shop.

The enormous jug and bowl were one of those on-line purchases which surprise you on arrival - BIGGER than imagined - never mind, I still like them in here despite the scale difference!


Moving downstairs, this is the dining room.  The wallpaper in here is quite drab compared to the other rooms so I added the swag border in an attempt to lift it a little.  I got the border from Poppet's Dolly Bits and aged it a little by rubbing it over with a damp teabag. It's held in place only with dabs Tacky Wax so as not to damage the original wallpaper.

The light fitting is again by my friend, Valerie and is another of my favourites.


The cork diorama is a modern ornament found in a charity shop.  The tin fireplace is German and so too is the mirror with candle sconces which I think I saw identified as Babette Schweizer in an old copy of International Dolls' House News. The clock is probably a modern reproduction of an antique miniature. I don't know anything about the dog but he is adorable and possibly German.

I don't know who made the copper-coloured coal scuttles, but I see them quite frequently on eBay.  The standard lamp is by Lundby.


The piano and stool are unmarked but very nicely made. The vase is the one that matches the jug in the drawing room. The mirror is Lundby and the guilded pewter vase is German.


I love the bead detailing on the dress of this little bisque doll and her lovely plaited mohair hairdo. 



The table in here is by Pit-a-Pat and the chairs are German.  The gramophone and candelabra are modern miniatures.

I think the hand-painted tray is modern too, there are initials on the base but can't make them out properly.  The plaster plate of apples is Kaybot.


The last room is the kitchen and it also has its original Handicrafts wallpaper.  I created the floor paper from a section of antique German dolls' house flooring I saw in a book. It's pasted onto card and just laid on the wooden floor of the room.

The delicate painted-glass light-shade was a lucky find on eBay.



The table is by Pit-a-Pat. The bisque doll came to me unclothed and I dressed it as a man-servant. I think the big plaster pie and the bread in the basket are home-made and I don't know anything about the chair except that it doesn't seem particularly modern. 

The plate of sprouts is Kaybot and the teapot is modern Delftware. The knife-sharpener is a lovely object which came to me carded with a matching carving knife and fork (see below). The card they were sewn onto seemed to have a bit of age.


I was very pleased to find this tin sink, despite its scruffiness - in my experience, sinks for older kitchens are quite difficult to find. This one has opening cupboard doors and a sweet little plug on a chain, though it has no taps!

The candle box on the wall above the sink is a modern miniature which I have tried to age with shoe polish.


The tin stove is one of my favourite things. It's a Huntley and Palmer biscuit tin and I seem to recall it costing me a small fortune on eBay - the trauma of these things does dim a little over the years!  

The plate of parsnips is by Kaybot but I'm not sure about the chicken which might be Kaybot too. The carving knife and fork match the knife-sharpener seen in an earlier photo. 

The very nicely-made kettle and the gravy boat are probably German and the brass pans are cheap modern miniatures.


The two carved wooden Scotties are very sweet - I'm reliably informed that the cheeky one on the chair is of superior quality but don't tell the other one!


The sideboard is Barton Tudor and there is a mix of old and new miniatures on it.


I love the cook in her neat little outfit and looking quite flushed from the heat of the kitchen - or is it something the man-servant just said?!!


Plans for the 325 were published by Handicrafts from 1919 to 1939 but the wallpapers in mine date it to around 1933-35* 

So, that's it from me today. I've loved re-visiting this house - it's been a real pick-me-up - and I hope you enjoyed it too.

Until next time,
Zoe

*Source: Handicrafts Dolls House Designs by Rebecca Green - www.dollshousespastandpresent.com

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these lovely pictures, Zoe. I'd forgotten how absolutely magificent this house and its contents are. The combination of old and new "stuff" is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Edel. This was only the second vintage house I bought and because it had such a different feel to the first one (my Dolly Mixture), it was real case of trial and error to find the right pieces for it and I think that's why it eventually ended up with such a mix of old and new. Purists might not like the mix-factor but I love how this house has turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Zoe, what a wonderful house! Your little people must be quite well off with all their lovely, antique treasures.
    I have the same H&P tin stove. It has pride of place on a shelf at the moment, waiting for the 'right' house to come along. (Actually a ploy, in case I DO see a beautiful large house that I need an excuse to buy - hee hee!).
    Thank you for cheering up a dreary Bank Holiday and the equally drizzly days since. I do love looking several times at photos such as these, discovering new, fascintating little items each time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenann! I hope your H&P range finds that beautiful large house soon!

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed this trip down Memory Lane, Zoe. A lot of things have been added since the last time I saw it. It is great & the mix of old & new is super!

    ReplyDelete