Friday 14 April 2017

More from Wallington Hall

A few more photos from Wallington Hall, as Jenny reminded me that we spotted a few other 'firsts' for us when we visited on Tuesday:


It isn't a great photo - some of the rooms were dark and frustratingly, some were completely unlit too - but this is the Chippendale Period Furniture four poster bed made for Triang by Elgin of Enfiled from 1921 to 1922 (Marion Osborne - 'The Book of Tri-ang Furniture').  Even harder to see in the photo are two chairs from that suite too.  I don't think the bed drapes are original as they're nothing like either of the two examples shown on the CD that accompanies Marion Osborne's book.


Again, it's not a great photo, but we thought that this was the round table from the same set.  


Other 'spots' included this beautiful Westacre lamp in the 'French House'.

 

And I didn't actually notice this lovely Westacre book trough until I was reviewing my photos this morning!


Other little highlights for me were this [presumably] cold-painted bronze tiger rug (and dog!)...


...this wonderful fire screen...


...and these gorgeous painted plates, all in Hammond House.


This super-beardy Grecon grandad with hat also caught my eye - he'd be a fabulous candidate for my friend Rosemary's 'Beaver Club'!


Anyone who knows me will know that I'm not a fan of Dol-Toi dolls, however, we came across this Dol-Toi gentleman and I have to admit that he does look quite handsome. Certainly worthy of a photo.

Many of the houses in the Wallington Hall collection contain pieces of the relatively more commonly-seen Elgin and early Triang pieces as well as Barton, Twiggs, Kensal Craft etc., and Grecons, Tomacs and Doll-Tois pop up all over the place, which makes it great fun for geeky dolls' house spotters like Jenny and myself! Next time we go we will be sure to take torches and who knows what else we'll find...


Oh and finally, this is the photo Jenny thanked me for not posting - I'd only forgotten!! 

By way explanation, there's a charming little children's corner in the dolls' house room at Wallington, accessed via a ladder and with a sign stating that adults may only enter if accompanied by a responsible child - of course we rebelliously disregarded this.  Once you have climbed the ladder, there is a lovely little 'mouse house' which can only be viewed through the two keyholes seen in the photo and a 'Tom & Jerry' style floor-level mouse hole - great fun for children but quite challenging for those of us adults who don't want to miss anything!

Until next time,
Zoe

4 comments:

  1. Lovely to see more photos. So interesting to see things again and makes you realise how much you miss when you're there. I didn't spot the Westacre book trough either. jenny xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah Zoe... i think i will be visiting your blog often... love it! lots of love Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous photos Zoe! Good to hear you enjoyed your day out, you are making me realise I need to go back for another visit (and to read through the rest of your great blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that tiger rug & I went up to the children's corner myself too, haha.

    ReplyDelete