Wednesday 12 April 2017

A Day Out to Wallington Hall

Yesterday was a real treat - I went to Wallington Hall with my friend, Jenny.  It's just over four years since I last visited and I had forgotten just how lovely the collection is.  We spent over three hours perusing every inch it!


The star of the show there has to be the stunning Hammond House which has thirty six rooms! The house had recently been emptied and dusted so it was in good order and well-lit. This is one side of it...


...and this is the other side.  


I took lots of photos but as it's a well-documented house I won't bore you with them all today (though I reserve the right to do just that at a later date, ha ha), but will just offer a glimpse of a couple of my favourite rooms, starting with this one of the nursery.


Then this very pink room!




The kitchen - one of them!


And a bedroom.


I was a bit alarmed to come across this bed in one of the rooms. Some very unsympathetic restoration going on here I think, probably by a well-meaning but uninformed volunteer - I hope it's a one off!


Not in Hammond house, but another highlight for me was getting a glimpse of some of the very rarely-seen Adams Period Furniture made for Triang by Elgin of Enfield. The shorter, glass-fronted cabinet in this photo is from the drawing room suite, produced from 1921 to 1922 (Marion Osborne - 'The Book of Tri-ang Furniture').


This chair is from the same range, though I think the back seat pad has been added as the back would originally have been open.


And finally, I can't leave out this lovely scene which we came across in the bedroom of what looks to be a renovated early 20thC G&J Lines - Jenny informed me that the Grecon grandpa is about to perform a striptease for his Tomac granny!! 

Until next time,
Zoe

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant photos of a great day out! And thanks for not putting the one of me peering through the mouse hole. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Wallington Hall when I visited 2 years ago. I spent most of my time in the dolls house room though just looking at all the detail in Hammond House. Wish I had space for a dolls house that size.

    ReplyDelete