Sunday 24 September 2017

Carpet Bagging

Oh dear! I'm shocked to see that it's been almost six weeks since my last blog.  Far too long!

I'll attempt to catch up in a series of short blogs over the next day or two, rather than rambling on and on in one big one.

First off, my carpet bagging:


I recently had a week away in the Scottish Borders and found this beautifully stitched dolls' house carpet in an antique shop in Melrose for only £10. So I bagged it!

Of course, it was actually a very nice cushion when I found it, but from the moment I clapped eyes on it, it was destined to be a carpet in one of my dolls' houses - most likely my C.E. Turnbull house (if I ever finish scraping it...)

It's quite large, measuring 44.5 x 37.5 cms (about 17.5 x 15.5 inches). That's larger than any of the rooms in any of my houses, so I'm going to have to go through the excruciatingly painful experience of cutting it down to size... argh, I hate doing that - it feels like blatant vandalism!


I understand (from a quick Google!) that this is known as Bargello or Florentine work and it seems to have been very neatly done. It must have taken someone many, many hours to sew.  The reverse side is almost as neat as the front, which I know would impress my mother, who is into all things stitchy.

When I bought it, I thought it might be old. I was thinking anywhere from the late 19th century to the mid 20th century but when I unpicked it from the back of the cushion cover, the cushion pad was from Ikea so I guess it's more likely to be quite modern!


No matter! It looks the part and I will forever marvel at the skill and patience that some people possess to be able to create these wonderful items.

Until next time,
Zoe

2 comments:

  1. That's a superb piece of stitching Zoe, congratulations! I love the colours too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Edel, I love finding things like this.

      Delete