Wednesday 25 January 2023

BINBAK Models of Bradford - Information at last!

Ever since I bought a BINBAK shop back in November 2019, I've been on the look out for information about the company, but with little success. Today, however, I made a little progress.
My BINBAK Shop

I stumbled across a website for model rail enthusiasts which provided the following information:
"Binbak (Binns, Baker & Co)
(Bradford, UK)
Binbak was a producer of wooden toys, launched just after World War II, and believed to have ceased production c1990. The toys were extremely well made, and included a range of wooden forts or castles, zoos, garages, shops and others."

So at last I know where the name BINBAK comes from - a concatenation of names Binns and Baker.

Better than that though, this information then led me to a forum post on a German website for collectors of animal toy replicas, which provides even more information:

"Jack Binns and Bill Baker first met when apprentices in the 1930s, but WW2 disrupted their lives (they served in the Black Watch Highlanders and Yorkshire Light Infantry respectively), until they met again in 1946, and agreed to set up a wooden toy company, Binns, Baker & Co in Bradford, using the brand name 'Binbak'. Jack supervised the basic construction, Bill supervised the finishing, painting and packing, and they shared design and business management. 
Their main product ranges were dolls houses, garages (for Dinky/Corgi cars), castles, western forts, and farmyards, with quite a lot different models of each being made over the years, plus a few large luxury special items for the Royal family and other VIP clients. Minor lines included at least two each of riding schools and zoos. 
In 1972 Bill decided to leave the business, so Jack and his wife continued to run it on a smaller scale from a barn near their home in Batley. Sadly, Jack died suddenly in 1987, but his wife Norrie continued for a few years, until 1991, with her loyal staff, when other family matters forced her to finally close it down."

It's a shame that the forum post doesn't mention the source of the information, but at least I now have something to get my teeth into some rainy day when I have time to dig deeper!

Or, perhaps someone who knows more will see this post and get in touch - please do!

Until next time.

Zoe

P.S. While researching this subject last week, I found another model of the Binbak shop which was being sold as a vintage item that, it was suggested, might make a nice spice rack!
My Second Binbak Shop
I snapped it up and it will soon be used for its original purpose. It's a smart little thing and has been rewired, so the clock lights up too!

1 comment:

  1. I love your second shop! That is very interesting information - if you have enough toy animals, perhaps you could join that German forum and ask the author of the post what his source is? I had found the Binns Baker & Co name on a website called planetdiecast.com - they show a "Fairy Fort" and a "medieval fort", but only say "Binns Baker & Co, operated in the north of England from 1946 to 1991". The STS forum poster had a lot more information! I wonder if it would be possible to trace any descendants of Jack and Norrie Binns?
    I have photos of two Binbak dolls houses saved from ebay, both quite different from the one in the DHP&P photo gallery - I should try contacting the sellers (if they are still on ebay), and post the photos on DHP&P.

    ReplyDelete