Monday 18 February 2019

Resurrected Furniture

So, what else did I manage to resurrect from the box of bashed up old bits shown in my last post?


There were these two German chairs. I still need to fit a new cross-piece on the top of the right-hand one.


There was this lovely silk-covered chair.

There are actually parts for three of these, but I only managed to get one whole one. I should be able to restore at least one more (hopefully all of them), but I'll need to make the missing parts so that's a project for another day...


I love these little chairs. Again, there were another two incomplete ones in the box and I hope I'll be able to restore those one day too.


I'm very, very pleased to have been able to fix up this lovely towel rail. I've wanted one of these for the bedroom in my Turnbull for some time.


I like this useful table too. It was in six pieces and had a leg missing. I used another, lone leg from the box to fill the gap.

I took the photo above specifically to show the replacement leg and it's actually much less obvious when you see it in a room setting.


Another little treasure is this bamboo chair. I found the missing strut for the seat-back in the box. One of the arms was broken and needed to be glued and pinned back in place.

The stretchers between the legs were missing too, but I had a bamboo placemat in my stash (I knew it would come in useful for something one day!) which did the job perfectly.


And finally, this smoker's/captain's chair has had some temporary repairs, though it's still missing a back leg. It's a simple piece but I find it really charming, so I'll be looking out for a replacement leg and will try to make a better piece for the end of the arm when I have some more time.

As you can probably tell, I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend of restoration and it's given me a huge feeling of satisfaction to save a few old pieces from the dustbin, and to share them with you on my blog.

Until next time,
Zoe

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful! You've done a terrific job. There are some very interesting items here. The towel rail is very like the one in Audrey Johnson's book Furnishing Dolls' Houses which is photographed with bathroom items from the 19th Century.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jenny, that's interesting - I'll have have a look. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, I've been fixing up some old furniture too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. Is the furniture you've fixed up on you Facebook page? If so, I'll have to have a look.

      Delete
  4. These are all so beautiful Zoe and you did great restoration work on them. I love these solid old pieces.

    ReplyDelete