Monday 18 February 2019

Erhard & Söhne Clock

I recently bought a box of broken dolls' house furniture on eBay for £25 plus postage.

I love a challenge and the idea of breathing new life into unwanted bits and bobs, so I've spent the last few days doing just that.

More of that later, but first - the clock!

Broken furniture after my first sort through the box.

The reason the cost of this box of broken bits didn't put me off was that I'd spotted a little Erhard & Sohne clock in the seller's photographs. And here it is:

Erhard & Söhne Clock

I recognised the clock from Swantje Koehler's excellent book Ormolu Dollhouse Accessories - Metal Toys from the Erhard $ Söhne Company, (2007).

As you can see, it's missing its pendulum and only has one clock hand, otherwise it's not in too bad condition, especially considering it's about 100 years old.

Made for it or does it fit by coincidence?

Also in the box, were three pieces of wood which pieced together to make what looks like the front of a grandfather clock. The Erhard & Söhne clock slots into the top perfectly.

Is this a coincidence or was the clock case (if that's what it is) made for this clock?

There are certainly no photographs of the clock within such a case in Swantje's book, and I haven't found anything like it on the internet either.

The casing could be home-made, of course, though it's certainly been made by an excellent woodworker as the beading around the opening is extremely fine.

As a mantle clock in Southsea Villa

Well, no matter. For the time being, the clock will grace the mantelpiece in the dining room of Southsea Villa (restored C.E.Turnbull house c.1900).

Of course, if anyone does happen to know more about the maybe clock case for it, I'd love to hear from you.

More soon about what I've managed to salvage from the box!

Until next time,
Zoe

2 comments: