Sunday 31 December 2017

Queen Victoria's Little Dolls - Part II

Following my blog post earlier this week, my friend Edel commented that she was lucky enough to own a copy of a book called 'Queen Victoria's Dolls' by Frances H. Low.

The book, was written in 1894 and each of Queen Victoria's dolls is beautifully illustrated in it by Alan Wright.

Edel was kind enough to send me photographs of the relevant illustrations from the book so that I could identify the dolls that I photographed in the Museum of London:


Mademoiselle Sylvie Leconte


Mademoiselle Leontine Héberle


Lady Sedley


Mademoiselle Proche


Mademoiselle Euphrosine Ancilin

For me, both the dolls and the illustrations are a feast for the eyes. Thank you very much, Edel!

[Added 8th January: You can see an interesting short video about the conservation of these dolls, posted on YouTube by 'Historic Royal Palaces', here.]

Until next time,
Zoe

6 comments:

  1. The pictures look great juxtaposed like this Zoe!
    Queen Victoria is said to have played with these until she was fourteen - if I had them I'd still be playing with them even though I'm a few decades over 14 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to be able to see and name these special dolls.

    Edel, I'd BET she went on playing with them in secret! I suppose the future queen had to spend her time preparing for her expected role but would slip away for a little tidy up of the dolls' house and offering tea to all those ladies.

    Happy 2018,ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! It IS wonderful and Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  3. Delightful, I am charmed! How wonderful that information can be shared. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jenny, it's great when people share information and we all get to learn [and feast our eyes on] that little bit more. xx

      Delete