Monday 22 July 2013

PROGRESS AT LAST!


It's taken me a while but at last I've made a start.




Masonite facade cut, primed and painted off-white.


There was a long pause in proceedings at this point while I plucked up the courage to draw the graphics on by hand. 


Windows bought and first attempt at painting the lithographs.



First I drew the graphics on in pencil and then set to with a fine paint brush.  I started with the shutters which proved to be the hardest part - thankfully they only feature on the top windows - there may not be any on the reverse side of the house!!



Nearly done - the front facade anyway!


Not too bad? I definitely see a Keystone emerging - yay!!

Only three colours used in the graphics for the outside walls; red, green and brown, simplifying things greatly.  At first I thought I would need to use some sort of lining pen but in the end I went for it by hand and the more I did, the more I began to believed that that was how the original illustrator did it as the effect was very similar.  I still have the drain pipe on the left to do but as Droopy is taller and thinner than a Keystone I am missing out the one on the right.

There are some other very slight deviations from the original due to the positioning of the windows and door which are dictated by Droopy - I don't want to make any structural changes to her.

I have used wooden windows from Hobbies but had to adapt a couple for the downstairs.

I'm working on the doorway now... one [door]step at a time!




14 comments:

  1. OMGoodness!! You would swear you took the front wall off my Keystone! Talk about an artist!The windows and their frames are perfect. I should've known when I saw that Asian sideboard you painted in DHPP that you are gifted! How do you find the time (and courage)?? -S

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic, zoe! I didn't think it would look this good. Keep going, it will be so worth the effort. It's going to be a mini work of art- such a unique item!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patty. It's lovely to get encouragement as it has crossed my mind this week that I might be mad! It's very absorbing and fun to do though so no matter how it turns out, I think it will be worth it.

      Delete
  3. Aw, that's really kind Little Loosie and also very encouraging - thank you! Believe me, I neglected many a duty this week to get this done and I've only got the sides, rear, roof and inside rooms to go - oh dear!
    P.S. Great to have my first comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well aren't you a clever girl Zoe !!! Beautiful work, this will be another house to be proud of. You have given me new inspiration and now I'm even more desperate to get back to work. ( another week and then I will be able to.) Keep up the good work, I will be back to see your progress. Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for that lovely comment, Eileen. I'm chuffed to have three followers now!!! Looking forward to seeing some of your work when you get back to it again, it and you have been missed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG Zoe. This is amazing. I so will be following your blog from now on to watch progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharee, I'm enjoying your blog too!

      Delete
  7. Somehow I managed to overlook your blog, Zoe, so I'm very glad you commented on mine! We haven't seen this wonderful front on DHP&P yet, though!! It's brilliant, very impressive! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca! I've kept this low-key so far because it's a bit of a mad project but I've had some lovely feedback from DHP&P members recently so I probably will post pictures on the site when I finish the outside.

      Delete
  8. I am so impressed! I am speechless! it is amazing. Must see more as you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I just came across your blog through Florine's (My Vintage Dollhouses), and I have to say I'm heartily impressed! I fancy myself as an artist, but I certainly don't think I could do a job as nicely as this. I own that Keystone Put-A-Way and would swear that's mine I'm looking at up there! I'm excited to follow your progress as you continue. I am a hopelessly addicted vintage-dollhouse-collector, and I often buy ones that need a little touching up, so it will be interesting to see how you overcome the hurdles!
    Feel free to check out my blog- I have several dollhouse tours over on my sidebar, as well as several that I still have yet to post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Corey, and thanks for looking at my blog. It is especially nice to get a compliment from Put-A-Way owner! I have finished the outside of this house now, I don't know if you saw my next post? It was some weeks ago now (if not months!) and I confess I haven't yet plucked up the courage to make a start on the interior. I have started another project for now but I'll get back to my Keystone baby eventually!

      Delete