Tuesday 5 March 2024

The Irresistible Peg Doll

I saw this little Queen Victoria peg doll when she was listed on eBay a while back and felt an immediate pull.

I resisted for a time but when she didn't sell and was re-listed a few weeks later I took it as a sign, made an offer and she became mine.


There was something about the attention to detail in her costume which lured me. It very much reminds me of the sort of detailing seen on Grecon dolls: my favourite type of dolls' house doll.

She's every bit the old Queen Victoria and couldn't possibly be anyone else. I know Queen Victoria wasn't often seen to smile but I have read that she actually had a good sense of humour so we'll let that pass.


Just as the real life Queen Victoria frequently did, peg doll Victoria displays her Order of the Garter blue riband and star, worn correctly over the left shoulder too.

And look at all that bling! I thought perhaps this aspect of her outfit had been overdone since Victoria was well known for being in permanent mourning following Prince Albert's death...

Photo by Gunn & Stuart, July 1896 (Wikimedia Commons)

...but no, as this photo of the Queen at age seventy-seven shows, it's all quite accurate - the sunray fringe tiara, the earrings, the necklace and the bracelets.


And of course peg doll Victoria is also wearing a widow's cap, with the long lace streamer at the back which her real life counterpart favoured.


The fabric of her dress is very reminiscent of the traditional black plisse mourning silk worn in Victorian times and is trimmed with a heavy fringe which skims the ground perfectly.

Beneath her dress she has not one but two underskirts. 


The first is a stiff, sheer black pleated fabric.


The second is a white nylon fabric with a silver zig-zag border and a pleated trim - not very Victorian but maybe it's what makes peg doll Victoria smile.


And finally - excuse me Ma'am - she is wearing full-length white broderie anglaise bloomers!

Oh and she has very nicely moulded black shoes made from what looks to be some sort of modelling clay.


The shoes have been neatly attached to the ends of her pink-painted peg legs.


I'm so impressed by the skilful sewing and styling of the outfit. The back is just as neat as the front and there is barely a stitch visible let alone out of place.

Note the excellent hair bun too! 

I would guess that she is homemade but how I wish I knew who made her.

I know she's just a wee peg doll, and I'm probably eulogising far too much, but I am so taken with her that I just had to!

Until next time,
Zoe

4 comments:

  1. She's lovely. The fall/hang at the back of the costume is really nice. We don't see her smile much cos she had horrid teeth I believe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apologies re teeth - couldn't spot the photo I've seen from v late in life, but came across these (https://www.ecosia.org/images?q=photos+of+queen+victoria+laughing) where teeth seem fine. Have to say that sitting for ages for the photo portraits would certainly not have been a smiling occasion(?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t suppose they were into Photoshopping at that time either!

      Delete
  3. She is wonderful, and I love that she has shoes too, how clever! What a great find.

    ReplyDelete