Sunday 27 May 2018

Repairing a Pressed Card Table

Last week I bought this little set of pressed card 'Korbi' furniture made by Karl Schreiter in Buchholz, Germany in, I believe, the 1920s/30s:


I thought I was only getting the sofa and two chairs, however, the seller very kindly emailed to say that she had the table that matched and, though it was broken, she would pop it in with the other pieces in the hope that I could repair it.


This is was how it was when it arrived but I do like a challenge so I had a good think and decided to have a go at repairing it using Milliput.  

I chose Milliput because it can be easily moulded to shape and I know that it remains stuck to things when it dries out (unlike other modelling materials I've used). 


So, I mixed a small amount of Milliput, flattened it and curved one side to match the curve of the table. Then I pressed it onto the underside of the table so that it filled the missing piece. 




Next I shaped it a bit and used a knife to press some markings into it to match the rest of the table edging - or as near as I could.


Once it had dried, I mixed some acrylics to get a decent match with the blue and painted the Milliput to blend in (I painted the underside blue and cream).  And here it is!

It's not as good as new but it's certainly got a new lease of life.

Until next time,
Zoe

3 comments:

  1. That is an excellent job Zoe! Well done, it looks as good as new to me, not seen many of these tables about, also did not know that Korbi furniture was so early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent repair Zoe. And how lucky to get the whole set of furniture! I love Korbi and have several several armchairs and a dolls' pull-along wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great repair, I've got some Milliput but haven't tried using it yet.

    ReplyDelete